This week was my sister’s birthday and it got me thinking. We all know the catchy phrase people say to you on your birthday, ‘you’re older and wiser.‘ Every birthday since I turned fifteen, I’ve wondered if that applies to me. So, I’ve been inspired to create this little space in the internet dedicated to track the things I’ve learned from the experiences, trials, and joys I’ve gone through as a 21 year old.
On my birthday I want to come back to this post and be reminded of all the things I discovered about myself, others, and life, the lessons I learned, the mistakes I made, and the happiness I found along the way.
Without further adieu, here are the things I’ve learned so far as a 21 year old:
- There’s is joy in serving others.
- Nothing, I repeat, nothing will ever beat kindness. No matter your economic position, your social status, your background, or anything else… always be kind!
- Letting go is a painful process. However, holding onto things that hurt you, cause you pain, or constantly let you down is a far more painful process to go through.
- Very often, in life we have to let go of good things so we can get better ones.
- Things are never as bad or as good as they appear to be. That being said, nothing lasts forever. Neither the good times, nor the bad ones.
- You’re not irrelevant and you’re not ordinary. You’re seen and you’re special.
- Never pass an opportunity to learn something new. Even if is something you think you’ll never ever need.
- You’ll get the results that you work for. ( I had to learn this the hard way. Please don’t ask why 😛 )